Monday, May 7, 2012

Mexican Sky Eye Jasper in COLOR !

On our last mad bead buying spree Todd convinced me to purchase a strand of Mexican sky eye jasper, mostly because according to him, "They look like M n M's"  And they do.  I only bought one strand of them and just sat down to start working with them

I really love working with jasper.  It comes in so many colors and always has interesting patterns in it.  This type of jasper is also called orbicular jasper because of its eye like patterns.  Jasper is used as a healing and protection stone and orbicular jasper in particular is also used to help with circular breathing, problem solving, accepting responsibility and instilling patience.

I was really struck by the various colors in this single strand of jasper and I was able to make three completely different looking bracelet and earring sets with them.  There was only enough of what I call "red factored" jasper to make a single bracelet and earring set.  These stones are all unique but have enough of that red color in them to make a good grouping. I like how the copper works with them as well.


This is the gray factor set.  With the silver beads and clasp it ends up looking completely different from the red factor beads even though they are all from the same strand.  There is a lot of yellow and brown in these beads but the silver beads pull out the gray and green colors of these particular stones.

This is the last set I have made (so far!) with yellow factor beads.  I used gold plated beads, a gold toned Bali style bead and a gold plated heart shaped clasp.  These additions really bring out the bright ocher yellow of the stones. 
It is really amazing how one strand of jasper can produce completely different looking pieces of jewelry.  No wonder I love working with jasper.  Here is a picture of all three sets together.  Of course they are all available for purchase in my Etsy shop.  I still have some gray and yellow factor stone beads and plan on adding a necklace or two to the mix as well. 


Until my next random blog entry, remember, life is beautiful and so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment